Friday, September 12, 2008

Repercussions of Katrina

I guess since New Orleans residents didn't heed the warning to evacuate in advance of Katrina, and then the government totally screwed up the recovery effort, and all those people died, this is what local governments have now resorted to: telling their residents they "may face certain death" if they stick around for the storm. Maybe the only way to get people to evacuate is to scare the hell out of them.

Although, when I was in school in New Orleans, and they told us to evacuate for a hurricane I got out of town, and quickly. Why is it I had no problem leaving? And other people are dumb enough to ride out the storm? Do they really think it will be enjoyable when their roof peels away from their house and they are hiding in a bathtub with a mattress over their head?

Fortunately, neither of these things has happened to me, but I imagine that it would not be enjoyable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091101825.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

No comments: