Friday, September 5, 2008

e-mail message from my moron boss

Her: Our secretary is going to calendar the Motion to Dismiss filed by the defendant. I would like to see a draft of our response by Thursday next week. The response needs to be very well written with citations to case law which defeats each allegation against the complaint. We will probably have a couple re-writes so I want to see the first one next week. Thanks

Me: That’s fine. But I don’t see what you are calendaring. There are no time deadlines with respect to motions to dismiss in state court. Once we file the reply, which will be sometime next week, we will just set it down for hearing.

Here's what I didn't tell her: thanks for telling me that the response needs to be very well written with citations to case law which defeat every element in the complaint. #1 because I graduated law school yesterday and I don't know what a citation is, #2 because I don't know how to respond to a motion to dismiss, and #3 because I usually try to compose pleadings that are not well written. Did you forget that I'm a published author and you're not??? And who is the person that routinely sends correspondence and pleadings out of this office with typos, grammatical errors and misstatements of law? Um, that's you, Ms. dumb boss.

Oh, yes, and who singlehandedly screwed up a case that this firm could potentially make a million dollars off of? That's you too. So, you know what? It might do you some good to follow your own advice and stop being a nasty, lazy moron who doesn't know anything.

And you know what else? We are insurance lawyers and I had to explain to HER the difference between contribution, subrogation, and indemnification. [If you aren't a lawyer you probably have no idea what these terms mean. But, if you are a lawyer, especially an insurance lawyer, these terms are basic. She should have learned that in year one.] I cannot believe I have to take crap from someone this stupid.

1 comment:

Lys said...

Hot damn - let me guess, she's a partner? Ugh!

Apparently she wants you to burn the midnight oil. Breathe - just breathe.