Friday, June 27, 2008

69

Who knew that 69 was the magic number to get the best sleep ever! And no you perverted readers, I'm not talking about the sex act although maybe subconsciously I wish I were talking about the sex act. What I'm talking about is the setting of the thermostat at my house. Yes, I've been doing a little experimenting, and I've noticed that setting the thermostat one degree lower causes me to go into hibernation sleep, where nothing wakes me up...not the (very early) birds that start chirping at 5a.m., not the neighbor's annoying dog, not even my alarm clock. The alarm clock thing might pose a problem, but I turned up the volume. I'm smart like that.

And the hibernation sleep has been causing me to have very weird dreams all week too. No, not sex dreams I think about that too much when I'm awake, that subject doesn't need to creep into my dreams too. I dreamt that I inherited my grandmother's house. And the house started out looking just like my grandmother's house looked. And then people started telling me what a crappy house it was, and they were making fun of me for it. So, I started to renovate the house and by the end of the dream, I renovated this cute little white house in Miami to a huge, beautiful, loft that was worth $3 million. In my dream I actually said "and now it's worth $3 million."

Although I'm not sure how random that dream really was because I have been thinking about my grandmother a lot lately, and I've also been thinking about when I would sell my house and how much I could possibly get for it. I think I've come to some decisions about the house. And about my grandmother, I think about her a lot when I'm not so happy. I'm kind of stressed out and I can't really stand my job. I think about what she would say to me about everything. I wonder if Mimi would be proud of me, of the decisions I've made since she's been gone, and of the career I've chosen. Although I'm sure she'd support my decision to open my own practice. After all, she started her own practice after not getting enough respect from her employer, and I'm pretty much doing the same thing.

Now that I'm really taking the time to think about it, I'm so much like her. She's been my role model for years. I even wrote about how much I emulated her in my personal statement when I was applying to law school. And now, without even really thinking about it, or realizing it, everything that I wanted for myself years ago, is finally happening. Maybe it's better that it's taking a little longer than I originally expected for my life to come together the way I wanted it to. I'm ready now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always loved your Mimi too but I think discussing Mimi under the heading 69 is scary..haha. Open your own business - she would be proud!