Tuesday, September 18, 2007

History repeats itself


Is this the infamous "hole" of Alcatraz prison, or my office?






This is what nicer offices look like.


HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF

Whoever came up with that phrase was a very observant person, because it's so true. I don't know why I have such a selective memory sometimes, but my nice friends are there to remind me. Specifically, they remind me how much I disliked working for my boss (Cockface) and his wife in law school.


Then, I stupidly accepted a PERMANENT position at this horrid firm as an attorney. I knew from the beginning that I would regret the decision, but I needed the money and had no other job offers. And now I really regret the decision as my boss has taken to treating me as his law slave instead of his associate. Both positions have similar duties. The only thing that makes the difference is the level of respect with which you are treated.


For example, if you are the law slave you get to work around 8:30 in the morning, just because you're afraid your boss might call for you to fax a motion to opposing counsel, give him a very important phone number, or run to the courthouse to announce he's going to be late for court. The the law slave will sit around most of the day doing very unimportant things and dreaming about not working here anymore. Around 5:50 or 6, the law slave will start to get excited because she thinks she may be able to escape from hell for the day at a normal time. But then Cockface walks into her office to continue revision of a Motion that has been hanging around for 10 days and has yet to be filed. So, instead of giving her work during the day when she doesn't have much to do, Cockface gives her work at the end of the day when it's convenient for him. Then he will cheerily say goodnight, leaving the law slave to finish the work and stay until 7:30 or 8, which is way later than she needed to stay. Basically Cockface has no respect for the law slave's time, thinking that she is only there to wait on him and serve his every command. I don't think he realizes that when he rolls into the office at Noon or 1pm, the law slave has already been here for HOURS. Asshole.


An associate would get to the office around 8:30 and leave around 6. She would be busy doing important work all day and not feel like the back-up secretary.





I'm the law slave.


PS--after Cockface was such a jerk a couple of weeks ago and threatened to fire me (a tactic that encourages maximum productivity), I am now totally paranoid that he is going behind my back interviewing other people. Of course, I am interviewing at other firms, but I want to dump him not the other way around.


I'm forgetting what it's like to be happy. I used to like to socialize, go to the gym, smile. Now I like to sit at home alone and be sad. This is the worst possible place for me to work. EVER.

No comments: